Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Baltimore Man Arrested In Bomb Scheme Was Convert To Islam

The Armed Forces Career Center in Catonsville, Md. is pictured Wednesday, Dec. 8, 2010. Antonio Martinez, also known as Muhammad Hussain, of Baltimore faces charges of attempted murder and attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction.

(Baltimore, MD) -- A Baltimore man is under arrest in connection with a plot to bomb an armed forces recruiting station in Catonsville, Maryland.

The U.S. Attorney's office in Baltimore claims 21-year-old Antonio Martinez drew the attention of a confidential source when he made Facebook postings in September calling for violence to stop oppression of Muslims.

A criminal complaint filed in U.S. District Court in Baltimore alleges Martinez, who is a U.S. citizen and a recent convert to Islam, told the confidential source he wanted to go to Pakistan or Afghanistan to realize his dream of joining the mujahideen.

In other communications, Martinez stated he wanted to become a martyr.

A document filed in U.S. District Court in Baltimore says Martinez, who is also known as Muhammad Hussain, wanted to "instill fear" through violence.

He's facing charges of attempted murder of federal officers and attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction.

The U.S. Attorney's office in Baltimore says Martinez intended to attack with what he thought was a vehicle bomb.

They add there's no evidence the man is connected to a recent series of shootings at military recruiting centers in the Washington, DC, area.

In a news release, the U.S. Attorney says there was never any actual danger to the public, as the suspect had been closely watched for months before his arrest.

Martinez has an initial appearance scheduled this afternoon before a magistrate judge.

No comments: