Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Times Square bomber jailed: But not before the usual rant ~ Fall of the US is imminent ~ Allah Akbar [Video]

Failed Times Square bomber Faisal Shahzad was sentenced this morning to life behind bars for trying to set-off a parked car full of explosives.

A defiant Shahzad said "Allahu Akbar" -- Arabic for "God is great" -- after the judge sentenced him to the mandatory life imprisonment.

"Brace yourself because the war with the Muslims has only just begun," he told the judge before he was sentenced during the 30-minute hearing. "The defeat of the US is imminent and will happen in the near future."

Shahzad, 31, a married father of two and naturalized American citizen who lived in Bridgeport, Conn., had pleaded guilty on June 21 in Manhattan federal court to 10 felonies, including international terrorism and trying to use a weapon of mass destruction.

When Judge Miriam Goldman Cedarbaum asked Shahzad, who was sporting a beard and white prayer cap, that he was an American citizen and that he had sworn an oath, he replied, "I did swear, but I didn't mean it."

The judge handed Shahzad six life sentences -- to run concurrently -- for his crimes.

"So, I am happy with the deal," a smirking Shahzad said.

At one point, Cedarbaum argued with the unrepentant Shahzad.

“You appear to be someone who was capable of education and I do hope you will spend some of the time in prison thinking carefully about whether the Koran wants you to kill lots of people,” she told Shahzad.

Shahzad responded that the Koran "gives us the right to defend. And that’s all I’m doing.”
The courtroom was packed with marshals and other security as Shahzad was led away in handcuffs.

The feds have said that Shahzad put together an improvised car bomb -- a 1993 Pathfinder fitted with 250 pounds of ammonium nitrate and diesel fuel, three 25-pound propane tanks and two five-gallon gasoline canisters -- that failed to ignite.

Bomb experts who have studied Shahzad's design before using it to build a working model say clearly demonstrated his deadly intent.
"Had the bombing played out as Shahzad had so carefully planned, the lives of numerous residents and visitors of the city would have been lost and countless others would have been forever traumatized," prosecutors wrote in court papers.

Shahzad's bomb fizzled before it could do any harm, doomed by faulty wiring and ingredients such as a low-grade fertilizer that couldn't explode.

He has told the feds that the Pakistan Taliban provided him with more than $15,000 and explosives training last year.

Shahzad has said the botched attack would avenge the death of Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the al Qaeda in Iraq leader who was blown to bits when a US fighter jet dropped two 500-pound bombs on his "safe" house in 2006.

Two days after his botched attempt, authorities nabbed Shahzad as he sat aboard a Dubai-bound plane departing from JFK Airport.

Shahzad's wife, Huma Mian, and two children are believed to be hiding in Karachi, Pakistan.
"It's only right that Shahzad forfeit his freedom for life for having tried to forfeit the lives of New Yorkers forever." Police Commissioner Ray Kelly told reporters after being told of the life sentence.

Mayor Bloomber said "there's no question what this guy was trying to do: He was trying to kill as many innocent human beings and destroy our society."

NY Post

No comments: